[X4U] New Software for PPC

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 15 16:27:06 PST 2006

On 15 Jan 2006, at 23:41, Jim Robertson wrote:

> Also, Lightroom doesn't bundle everything into
> one huge database. I've not explored it yet, but that's a real
> concern with
> Aperture.

I can't really see much difference between the database format of the
two apps.

Lightroom has ~/Pictures/Lightroom/Photos/<shootname> containing a
bunch of original image files and perhaps a <filename>-Edit.TIFF if
the image has been edited in Photoshop. Everything else seems to be
in ~/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom\ Library.aglib and ~/Pictures/
Lightroom/Lightroom\ Library.thumbs (I haven't done much work in it
yet, so it wouldn't surprise me to find more metadata files stored in
the future).

Aperture's "single file" database is simply a directory called ~/
Pictures/Aperture\ Library.aplibrary - OS X treats this directory as
a bundle or a package or whatever, and so you have to right-click &
choose "Show Package Contents" in order to explore it. Once you've
grokked this philosophy, folder layout is remarkably similar to that
of Lightroom. "Tibet - Aperture Sample Project.approject" contains a
folder titled "2005-10-20.apimportgroup"; all the original image
files are stored in there and data & XML files are littered around
liberally.

Of course if you don't like its database, Lightroom has the advantage
that you don't have to use it. When importing files you get a bunch
of options - you can move files into its database, copy them, copy
them as digital-negative RAWs or just leave them where they are and
"reference them".

Core Image Technology is supposed to make Aperture more efficient,
but Lightroom seems to run much faster for me. This is on a dual 1.8
G5, which I don't consider exactly slow, but all the Aperture users
on the DPreview forums are talking about quads with 4gig of RAM.
Maybe my 1.25gig of RAM is letting me down here, but it's the first
time its done so. Even my unqualified eyes can see much better image
quality in Lightroom, but I guess other cameras may be supported
better in Aperture than mine is.

Lightroom has quite a way to go yet - straightening & cropping are
not yet available in the public betas (the Adobe reps who were at
MacExpo are rumoured to have mentioned that they that feature in
their builds) - but I suspect it's what I'll be using in a year's
time. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if my dual-process
G5 is underpowered, but Aperture is currently unusable for me, with
presently only a handful of images in it.

Stroller.