[X4U] DRAM failure (was Hard drive or hard drive controller gone)

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Jan 16 19:40:41 PST 2006

On 01/16/06, Jim Robertson <jamesrob at sonic.net> wrote, among other things:

> 3. How many of you would plunk down $75 for replacement DRAM for this box
> (considering that I've already invested $100 for a new 300 Gbyte ATA drive
> that I cannot use in any other Mac in my house)?

That's a pretty good price for DRAM and that's a pretty good machine. BTW,
can't you return the bad ones? Most suppliers have lifetime guarantees on those
modules.

I don't understand the "can't use" bit with the 300 GB HD. Put it into
something like the Argosy USB/FW enclosure ($38 + S&H) and it should work with
any of your machines. See
<http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500933> for details. I have
two and they work flawlessly and it supports up to 400 GB HDs.