[X4U] About mail certificates

Vince Lewis vplewis at mac.com
Thu Jan 26 08:36:53 PST 2006

On Jan 26, 2006, at 8:09 AM, nk wrote:

> anyone here use and/or know about mail certificates?
>
> can any app use them? what if you use them but your recipient doesn't?
>
> is using certificates actually useful?
>
> nk

I use a free one from Thawte <http://www.thawte.com/home.html>. The
cert and keys are stored in your keychain, so I guess any app "could"
use it. The recipient doesn't need to do anything to receive your
signed email—though some servers block the email because of the
"attachment," calling it an unknown virus. However,  encrypting is a
little more complicated since the recipient must have your public key
in order to decrypt your msg. There's plenty of in depth info at the
above link.
  	 Useful? You decide that. I'm _sure_ my email is going to my
recipient "as written" since it's digitally signed. And encrypted if
I chose.
ciao,
Vince