[X4U] iPhoto Library Reorganization

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jul 29 08:28:24 PDT 2006

On 28 Jul 2006, at 19:55, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> I have the XT as well. Great camera. I just use iPhoto and it's
> good for the
> most part... I find it won't
> import Canon RAW files period.

Ummm... it does here.

I have iPhoto 6, but I don't know that that's relevant. I think the
ability to handle RAW files, for Aperture, iPhoto & Preview, is
handled by the OS. Support for the Digital Rebel XT appears to have
been added by 10.4.3, support for the non-US name "350D" under 10.4,
but I think you can add support for then under 10.3 by hacking a
plist file.

There is some discussion of that in these threads:
   http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?
story=20051101035330228&lsrc=osxh
   http://minimal.cx/2005/11/01/make-os-x-1043-understand-canon-
eos-350d-raw-files/
   http://minimal.cx/2006/01/11/os-x-1044-and-canon-eos-350d-raw-files/

These are the first three links I found when I Googled for 'canon 350
RAW files "os x"'
   http://www.google.com/search?q=canon+350+RAW+files+%22os+x%22

In any case, all I did here to import the RAW file into iPhoto was
right-click on MyBunny.CR2, choose "Open With..." and "Other" then
choose iPhoto. It shouldn't be too hard to make this the default or
to add it to the main "Open With" menu,

> Photoshop CS2 will open Canon RAW where CS1 won't

Indeed. This is lame. But I think the free _stand-alone_ Adobe Camera
RAW can convert Canon CR2 RAW files into DNG which can then be opened
by CS1.

Stroller.