[X4U] Any legal restrictions on CD songs as gift loaded on iPod

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Thu Jun 15 20:52:06 PDT 2006

At 6:10 PM -0700, 6/15/06, John Richardson wrote:

>Burned CD is designed as a gift (along with the new iPod.
>
>Can anyone think of any legal restrictions to the above procedure?

One persons buy the CD. Copies are made so that others don't have to
buy it. Sounds like you are giving away other people's property (the
publisher owns the music, with you only having the right to listen to
it, not give it to others as you see fit.)

>Note: I was going to use the same procedure to burn DVD's and donate
>the DVD's to a local university's music library (minus the iPod).
>Any issues in this separate particular case?

Same as above but with many times the losses to the owner.
--

Robert Ameeti

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
            -- George Bernard Shaw