[X4U] firewire hub

Jan Melichar janmel at mac.com
Fri Jun 23 08:40:58 PDT 2006

On 23 Jun 2006, at 01:22, Philip J Robar wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Randy B.Singer wrote:
>
>> And, by the way, I wouldn't put two FireWire hard drives on the same
>> chain or attach them to a FireWire hub, I would instead purchase a
>> multi-port FireWire PCI card.
>
> I second Randy's recommendation of not sharing FireWire (or  USB)
> bandwidth between simultaneously operating high-speed devices, but
> want to add a cautionary note. Multiple ports on a FireWire (or
> USB) PCI card do not guarantee or even imply that each port has
> it's own unshared bandwidth. I would recommend that unless you can
> find documentation to the contrary that you assume that all ports
> on a card will share the same bandwidth.
>
> (Sorry for the late follow up. I found Randy's response while doing
> some clean up.)
>
> Phil

These are surely puzzling comments for those of us who are using
firewire drives in a chain as no doubt many of used similarly linked
SCSI drives.

Mine sometimes develop a life of their own (much as SCSI drives used
to) and there seems to be no logical way to restore previous order.
So every few months when one or other drives does not mount I spend a
irritating hour or so pulling cable out and replacing them in a
different order only to go through the same procedure a few months
later.

I assumed that as with SCSI this was just part of life and was only
the other day wondering if a firewire hub would solve this
irritation. `Until now I assumed that daisy chaining was normal and
proper practice but if not could someone please give me/us the
lowdown on this as my hard drives are multiplying!

Jan