[X4U] RAM/MacBook Pro question

eleventhvolume colin at eleventhvolume.com
Fri Jun 23 13:55:04 PDT 2006

Robert wrote:
> Monitoring your memory allocation using Activity Monitor will give you a
> good picture of what is happening.
I have been doing that - in general I've got a tiny amount (10 to 20mb) free
with an average of about 250mb inactive, active is currently 560mb and wired
170mb. This with just Firefox, Word, iTunes, SpamSieve and Entourage open. I
don't really know how to interpret the aforesaid figures despite a visit to
the Acitivity Monitor help.

Milton wrote:
> I have noticed two things:
> - freezing of the cursor at certain times when I empty the trash, and
> - a disappearing cursor at times when I'm using a Rosetta app
> (DreamWeaver) which reminds me of the disappearing cursor when
> Classic first ran on OS X.
>
> Is this just me?
The disappearing cursor is not something I've experienced with my MacBook
Pro and a paltry 1gb ram.

I'm going to check out the Firefox 2 beta as mentioned by Zane.

Thanks to everybody else that responded. I'm going to spring for the other
1gb that my machine can do and hope it makes a difference. (I remember
getting by with 48mb RAM on my 5200 with system 7.)

All the best, Colin.