[X4U] HP 1610 ink refill

RR robertr71 at san.rr.com
Sat Mar 4 20:35:05 PST 2006

Ok, I have an iMac G5 and picked up one of those HP 1610 printers
real cheap.  The ink finally ran out and I refilled the cartridge,
which was a trivial exercise.  Now I notice the HP utility shows that
the cartridge is still empty, but prints like new.  I haven't been
able to find the secret to resetting the ink level.  The best I could
find was to rotate the ink refills between 3 cartridges.  I'm cheap,
I don't want to buy two more cartridges.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I could ignore it I suppose, it'll only trash one print out several
months away from now.

My web trolling activities have determined that HP 1610 stores the
last two cartridge electronic serial numbers in printer NV.  There
are some tricks posted regarding some of HP's earlier cartridges (HP
57 etc...) to fool the printer into resetting the ESN (see http://
customer.stratitec.com/support.php?products_id=811&source=support).

Wonder if I could scrounge up a couple of used/empty HP94,95,96 or
HP97 cartridges for free somewhere.