[X4U] Applescript or terminal gurus: how to force video mirroring?

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Tue Mar 7 15:33:36 PST 2006

I access my home machine from work via Chicken of the VNC plus the
Mac's built-in VNC server.  The speed has never been what VNC was
under OS 9 <sigh>.  But now that I've added a 19" monitor in desktop
spanning to my new 20" Core Duo iMac, the screen refresh is
staggeringly slow due to the overhead of the new monitor.

I'm completely unfamiliar with remoting (is this what everyone refers
to as "SSHing") from another machine.  But I was wondering if an
Applescript guru would know a script to switch the remote Mac back
and forth from screen spanning to screen mirroring?  I could launch
the script remotely (or just wait for the screen to finish drawing
all the way in VNC...) and then launch the script, thereby at least
reducing the size the "screen" that VNC has to transmit and refresh.

Thanks!

Michael