[X4U] "Searching" question under 10.4

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri May 12 01:12:26 PDT 2006

On 05/11/06, Daly Jessup <jessup at san.rr.com> wrote:
> At 12:02 PM -0700 5/10/06, John Baltutis wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>My modified _rules.plist file looks like this, which allows me to search the
>>developer docs and a whole lot more:
>>
>><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
>>"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
>><plist version="1.0">
>><dict>
>>         <key>EXCLUDE</key>
>>         <array/>
>>         <key>INCLUDE</key>
>>         <array>
>>                 <string>/System</string>
>>                 <string>/Library</string>
>>                 <string>/Developer/ADC Reference Library</string>
>>                 <string>/etc</string>
>>                 <string>/private</string>
>>                 <string>/usr</string>
>>                 <string>/bin</string>
>>                 <string>/sbin</string>
>>         </array>
>>         <key>NOTE</key>
>>         <string>Specify paths to include or exclude, preceeding rules which
>>target user-homes with ~/</string>
>></dict>
>></plist>
> <snip>
>
> John, I am interested in pursuing this, but when I look in Terminal
> at my existing pref file, there's something that concerns me (because
> I'm ignorant of it). The array tag (second line under "<dict>" in
> your listing, is different for mine. Instead of saying "<array/" as
> yours does, mine says "</array". And at the end of the array, ours
> says "<array/>"  while yours says, "</array>".
>
> Is this important? Are there really two ways of beginning and ending
> tags? Please advise!

Gee. I don't know; however, I just opened the com.apple.securtiy.plist with
TextEdit and it shows:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>DLDBSearchList</key>
	<array>
		<snip>
	</array>
</dict>
</plist>

So I suspect that my format's correct-it works!

I copied the _rules.plist to the desktop and used the Property List Editor.app
that comes with the XCode Tools to add the items under the INCLUDE group. It's
the easiest way to modify plists and I recommend that you give it a go. Just
remember to save a copy of the original in case it doesn't work properly.