[X4U] Freezing on wakeups

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Wed May 31 06:48:33 PDT 2006

---- "David R.Boag" <spikedds at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I have another friend who is having frequent freezes on waking his G5
> from sleep. Here is the thread to this point:
>
> He wrote:
>
> My Mac has really been acting up lately.  It is a dedicated
> video workstation and has got some issues.  Everytime I try and wake
> it from sleep I have to reboot.  It is remniscent of some of the old
> USB issues that some macs had.  However, I have not changed
> anything.  No new software, no new hardware, etc.
>
> I replied:
>
> What machine and OS are you using, Jeff? Give me you machine specs. Does
> it  happen ALL the time, i.e. after a fresh restart without opening any
> apps?
>
> DRB
>
> He, in turn, replied:
>
> Dual 2ghz processor G5 PowerMac
> 2 gig of RAM
> Can't remember the video card
> OS X 10.3?  (Safari, not Panther - isn't Panther the latest?)
> 160gig main HD
> 250gig second HD
>
> It happens almost all the time.  The frequently used programs on this
> machine are Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio pro, iTunes and Entourage.
> Once in a blue moon I will use iDVD when wanting a quick DVD for evaluation of
> cuts.
>
> Yes, this happens almost every time I wake the machine from sleep.
>
> And this problem is new in the last 3 months.  However, like I said,
> there is nothing new on the machine.  No new software or hardware.

When I first got my June 2004 Dual G5, the first thing I did was restore from DVD (10.3). Mostly as an experiment.

Anyway, after that I would get random OS freezes. Usually I could ssh in and kill the process that was consuming the processor and get back, yet it was still very frustrating.

Long story short: It seems my install DVD's were bad, so I got replacements, but what really solved it was Tiger. My machine now never freezes, I have uptimes of more than 30 days, it is rock solid.

One other thing to check is firmware updates.

Also, check the RAM, pull some of it and see if it will wake properly.

Lastly, does he have any USB/Firewire stuff connected?
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net