[X4U] fellow luddites?

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Fri Nov 17 16:52:42 PST 2006

At 12:16 PM -0800 17/11/06, keith_w wrote:
>nk wrote:
>>Mac Write is a perfect example of an application which, (IMHO) was
>>already completely "there" in the sense that it beautifully and
>>completely fulfilled its mission (as a word processor).  I wish
>>they'd kept MW II around and had a version that ran on OS X, just
>>like the MacWrite II of c.1993.

>See: emailman-software-wordproc-mac at emailman.newsgrouphosting.com
>
>BTW. we both like MS Word 5.1a, but it's not compatible with OSX,
>and quite likely it never WILL be...

I have a client, a playwright, who finally switched to Word this year
after I made him a bunch of macros, but until then he continued to
write his plays in WriteNow, in Classic. In my efforts to help him, I
got to know that program fairly well, and it is really sweet and runs
extremely fast, of course (it's so small) in Classic.

Of course, the fact that I can still run Classic probably already
brands me as a budding Luddite!

Anyway, anyone wanting "the old days" and who can still use Classic,
might want to consider WriteNow as a word processor. As part of
studying this thread, I downloaded MacWrite, but found that I could
not run it either in Classic nor booted into OS 9 on another machine.
The application would "unexpectedly quit" and it wasn't worth my time
to try to figure out why. But WriteNow still works great. Wonderful
little program.

Daly