[X4U] IDefrag points out files that I am clueless about

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Mon Nov 27 13:58:37 PST 2006

On 11/27/06 1:08 PM, "Randy B.Singer" <randy at macattorney.com> wrote:

> iDefrag is unique in the Macintosh world in that it offers several
> different defragmentation algorithms to choose from.  Some of which seem
> to do a fantastic job of optimizing one's hard drive for the best
> performance.

I've been reading a bit about iDefrag in the context of whether I should use
it on my MacBook Pro to optimize the performance of Parallels (I was
surprised to see it bog down on an iMac in an Apple store when I just tried
to drag an icon across the Windows XP desktop, and someone suggested that
might help - I've not tried yet, because I use Boot Camp for now; I'm just
tiring of going to camp every time I need to use Windows).

Since I don't have another drive inside my MacBook Pro, or ANY external
drives, could I install iDefrag on my desktop Mac (which is a dual G5),
power up the MacBook Pro in target disk mode over FireWire, and run iDefrag
on the dual G5?

Thanks so much

Jim Robertson