[X4U] Parallels Desktop

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Thu Nov 30 14:14:51 PST 2006

At 1:20 PM -0800, 11/30/06, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>  > >B. Geneology Software, including the possibility of having to run
>>  >some under Virtual PC (Win95)
>>
>>  If you are wanting to use Virtual PC, then that has nothing to do
>>  with either BootCamp or Parallels.
>
>I'd meant the possibility of running the Windows version of Virtual PC under
>WinXP.  I've not yet checked how well it handles things such as CD-ROM
>access (something the Mac/PPC version is horrible at).

I'd just run Win95 under Parallels and that way you'd have the
slightest amount of problems. Running VPC will only be slower.

>I'd not realized that, I just checked thier list of supported OS's.  Very
>nice.  Does Parallels emulate some common type of video adapter?  How does
>it handle the video drivers for all of those OS's?

The only video driver it needs to offer is the one that will drive
the Mac screen. The other OSs don't mandate drivers.

>  > >C. Drive a Microfilm scanner that is "Windows Only", and later will
>>  >likely also need to talk to a Microfiche scanner
>>
>>  How does the scanner connect to the computer? If it is SCSI, then
>>  you'll need then you'll need to add that interface and it may not be
>>  supported by either.
>
>As I understand it, it's USB.

Most USB drivers are supported by both methods. Odd ones will need to
specifically be tested.

>  > >D. Interface with a fancy sewing machine
>>
>>  Fancy sewing machines typically use some type of copy protection
>>  dongle and you won't know if it will work till you try it (and it may
>>  even use the serial port for the dongle.)
>
>Fancy sewing machines are just plain a major pain in the neck if a Mac is
>involved.  The best we managed with an iBook running Mac OS 9 and VPC 2 & 3,
>talking via a USB-to-Serial converter was for it to mostly work.

The USB connectivity is much improved over that older work around.

>At this point the important piece of hardware to have working is the
>Microfilm scanner.

You'll need to specifically ask about that scanner's USB driver
compatibility in each environment.

--

Robert Ameeti

If You've Seen One Redwood Tree, You've Seen Them All.
- Forestry Expert Ronald Reagan