[X4U] FW: What's the reason for your misleading CNN piece

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 23 19:55:30 PDT 2006

> From: Robert Ameeti <robert at ameeti.net>
>
> At 5:25 PM -0700, 10/23/06, Earle Jones wrote:
>
>> 1.  A good friend of mine is a high-powered senior consultant in the
>> field of computer security.  ...
>
>> True, the old-fashioned hacker wants to make a big splash and might
>> avoid the Mac for that reason.
>
> This statement holds no water. Who is going to make bigger news ...
> the writer of the next big Windows virus OR the writer of the first
> significant Mac OS X virus? My money is on the writer of the first
> real OS X virus.

Indeed - that idea might have had some plausibility 3 or 4 years ago,
but now it just doesn't make any sense from any angle. The reason why
there are so many viruses for the PC is that Windows has the same
convoluted surface at lower levels that you see at the user interface
level. There are ten ways to do any particular thing, and they look
like they were all designed by ten independent teams that never met.
But its not very easy to really prove that, and show in an obvious
way that it is the reason why virus writing is so effective on the
PC.  But the thing that's obvious to anyone is that the PC has a lot
more people writing viruses for it than the Mac - and you just have
to wonder how anyone could imagine that hacker-fame or user base
could explain it.

As far as fame goes, why would it be that *no* virus writers are
interested in the Mac?  You could imagine that far fewer would be
interested, but that *none* would be interested?  That is just absurd.

And on the hacking-for-dollars side, its even more absurd. There may
be fewer Macs out there, but that's still *millions* of supposedly
vulnerable Macs with their clueless drivers surfing the net with
mostly no anti-virus protection at all, just waiting for anyone to
come along and gobble up all kinds of bank account and credit card
info. If its just as easy to write a Mac virus and deploy it, then
why aren't these hackers-for-profit taking advantage of this vast
field of virginal users that have no virus savvy at all, and no
competing viruses?  Oh yeah - its because there are more PCs - yeah,
that's it.

A lot of people (including me) have argued that the Windows virus
phenomenon is made possible by the architecture of Windows. Its very
difficult to make that kind of point in a concise and non-technical
way that seems like its proven the point and closed the case.
However, as time moves on, the excuse-making wears thin. There really
are only two categories of options - a) its something about Windows
itself that facilitates viruses or b) its a social or market-driven
phenomena that has nothing to do with Windows technology per-se. As
time goes by, its harder and harder to imagine that Windows is so
unique in the hacker culture no virus writer has *ever* found it
interesting enough to write something real for it. But people just
keep repeating it as if it made sense.

SR