[X4U] Long file names on non-Mac servers

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Fri Oct 27 00:52:48 PDT 2006

On 27 Oct 2006, at 07:30, Brett Conlon wrote:

> We have a non-Mac server in Pre-Press (sorry the people to ask if
> it is
> Windows or Unix are not available right now). Whenever the
> designers in
> our studio try to copy files with names longer than 31 characters
> it gives
> them a failure warning - no worries... we have this as part of our
> plotting to Pre-Press procedures.
>
> However there are 3 (so far) Macs in our studio that somehow are
> breaking
> this rule.

You've got a Windows 2000 or XP server. Quite why you're seeing the
differences eludes me (Stroller, any idea?) but check the OS version
on the 3 Macs showing this problem versus the others which aren't.
Also, check the mechanism by which the 3 Macs mount the remote
volume. Are some connecting via Windows file sharing and some via AFP?

Simon Forster