[X4U] iChat AV connection randomly won't work-solution

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat Sep 2 21:44:40 PDT 2006

Sometime back, there was a question regarding intermittent problems
with iChat AV conferences.  The symptom was that two people could
connect without difficulty to other people or the Apple test
accounts, but when they tried to connect to each other, they got
"failed to respond" errors.

I recently began to have this problem, as well, especially when
dealing with family using AIM on Windows.

After searching through the logs, I founda reference to "error -8"
and did a web search. I had already made sure that all the usual
ports were open and forwarded through my router. But one thing caught
my attention that I had never seen before:  check the router
preference to "Respond to Ping on Internet Port".

I know that many of us use this feature unchecked to "stealth mode"
our systems against outside pings.  But as soon as I checked this box
to ALLOW pings, iChat connected flawlessly to every person I tried.

FYI

Michael