[X4U] Re: Using Apple's Find (Command F) (John Baltutis)

stephen e. schwartz ses at bnl.gov
Wed Sep 6 07:04:58 PDT 2006

At 15:58:58 -0700, John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:

>Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 15:58:58 -0700
>From: John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com>
>Subject: Re: [X4U] Using Apple's Find (Command F)
>To: x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
>
>No hack needed. Users are able to modify plist files. Just modify the
>/.Spotlight-V100/_rules.plist file which controls what's excluded and included
>in Spotlight searches. This ain't rocket science. This is what mine looks
>like:
>
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
>"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
><plist version="1.0">
><dict>
>        <key>EXCLUDE</key>
>        <array/>
>        <key>INCLUDE</key>
>        <array>
>                <string>/System</string>
>                <string>/Library</string>
>                <string>/Developer/ADC Reference Library</string>
>                <string>/etc</string>
>                <string>/private</string>
>                <string>/usr</string>
>                <string>/bin</string>
>                <string>/sbin</string>
>        </array>
>        <key>NOTE</key>
>        <string>Specify paths to include or exclude, preceeding rules which
>target user-homes with ~/</string>
></dict>
></plist>

avoiding the above is just why I use a macintosh. I want a command-f that
will do what I want it to do. I am willing to configure it in a gui with
check boxes or radio buttons, and even willing to modify those buttons when
I want to change my search options, but not to spend executive cycles
learning how to do anything even remotely resembling the above.

-steve