[X4U] OS X Configurable Hardware Firewalls and Content Blocking

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Wed Sep 13 01:41:03 PDT 2006

On 13 Sep 2006, at 05:08, PoolMouse wrote:

>> Specifically, I'd like an option to type in a web site address,
>> domain, IP
>> address, etc., and block it completely, restrict access to certain
>> times of
>> the day, and restrict users to only a certain number of hours of
>> access.
>> I'd also like to give different privileges to different clients
>> (older kids
>> get broader access than younger ones, etc.)
>>
>> It hasn't been an issue thus far since I have ContentBarrier
>> installed on
>> all of our Macs.  I won't be installing anything on the PC but I
>> don't want
>> to give her open access to my network without some restrictions.
>>
>> I am assuming a hardware firewall is the best option.   Does
>> anyone on the
>> list have experience with one of these that would be suitable (and
>> reasonably priced) for home use?  Am I asking too much?

Personally, I think this is going about it the wrong way and is an
inappropriate use of technology. You should lay down boundaries and
educate your kids about the perils and pitfalls of the web, how you
expect them to behave, yadda, yadda, and then (semi-) trust them to
be responsible. Or do you lock your kids in their room, only letting
them out at pre-defined periods? (That question sounds more
aggressive than I mean it to be. It's an analogy. Please don't take
it personally).

OK, (semi-) trust them because you will be monitoring them. Let them
know that you log their activity. If need be, tell them that you've
got some remote access software on their machines and that you'll pop
in to check on them occasionally (and make sure you do and you do if
you say you will!). Let them grow and take responsibility for their
actions under your watchful (not controlling) eye.

Of course, your kids, your choice. I just worry about humankind's
natural instinct to monitor and control and where it'll take us.

Simon Forster