[X4U] mac os 10.4 server book

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 16:15:02 PDT 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 3:49 AM, alexandre wrote:

> I'm look for a book on how to set up a network (6-8 macs + 1
> xserve), install the hard and software, and on how to manage it.
>
> I've never set-up a network but I do consider myself to be a
> "medium power user" (whatever that means…), so I don't need the
> basics…

You should consider joining the Apple's server mailing list or
monitoring the list at Apple's web site.

Also I just got this from O'reilly:

	From: 	  ormadmin at oreilly.com
	Subject: 	New PDF: Mac OS X Tiger Server Administration
	Date: 	September 12, 2006 8:58:49 AM PDT
	To: 	  philip.robar at gmail.com

***New from the O'Reilly Store***

Mac OS X Tiger Server Administration (PDF format)
Integrating Mac OS X Server into Heterogeneous Networks PDF
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macosxtigersa/

By Michael Bartosh
ISBN: 0-596-52954-6
323 pages, PDF Price: $19.99 USD

This PDF gives Unix, Windows, and Mac administrators what they need
to master
every aspect of this server, from the command line to Apple's
graphical tools.
Full of much-needed insight, clear explanations, and troubleshooting
tips, the
book shows readers how to utilize Tiger server's capabilities and
features in
their individual environments, while highlighting the differences
between Mac
OS X and other server platforms.

Topics include setup and configuration, Apple's Open Directory,
fundamental
network services, file and print services, security, Internet
services, and
workgroup management. Included in this updated edition are new
chapters on
Tiger's iChat server, Launch Services, Certificate Services, and Apple's
Software Update Server.

BUY 2 BOOKS, GET 1 FREE
Take advantage of our "Buy 2 Books, Get 1 Free" offer by
cutting and pasting code "OPC10" into the shopping cart. Any
orders over $29.95 also qualify for free shipping in the US.

Want to receive future O'Reilly emails in HTML,
or change your O'Reilly Newsletter settings? Please visit:
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/nl/home

For assistance, email help at oreillynet.com

O'Reilly Media, Inc.
1005 Gravenstein Highway North