[X4U] Transcription, document management (part deux)

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Wed Sep 27 19:14:23 PDT 2006

Hi Jim,

How long are these dictation pieces?

I was just thinking... I'm currently encoding some audio for a DVD project
I'm doing and I mistakenly encoded the aiff files to AAC 128Kbps. It
crunched my files pretty well and audio quality is well enough for
dictation. I had a 26min audio segment and it crunched to 24MB. Would
those figures be too high?

I was using Compressor to encode but iTunes has the AAC format and you can
go as low as 16bit. That should get those files down TINY!

So I'd use a utility like AudioX to record the sound. Drop it into iTunes
to encode it to AAC (whatever bitrate you choose), store them on your
server and have the transcriptionist pull them down from there.

Thinking further to this... I'm sure there are 2 pretty good Mac speech
recognition softwares which you might even be able to dictate to and it
may transcribe it for you. I think you initially spend a little while
speaking into it so it can learn your speech idiosyncrasies then off you
go.

Anyway... food for thought!

Cojcolds

Jim Robertson <jamesrob at sonic.net>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
28/09/06 11:58 AM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

Mac OS Digest <x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>, Mac-L list
<mac-l at lists.listmoms.net>
cc

Subject
[X4U] Transcription, document management (part deux)

We have an Asante VPN router in our office. Is it possible to configure
this
so that if we put our transcribed reports (MS Word docs) on a computer on
our LAN we can on an impromptu basis configure VPN sessions from PCs in
the
hospitals; i.e., is it possible to create VPN tunnels on an ad hoc basis?
When I bought the router a few years ago my understanding was that
dedicated
hardware was needed on both ends to create a VPN session.

Does anyone know of transcription software that our Mac-loving
transcriptionist could install on her computer so that we could still
dictate into the phone and she'd receive digital sound files? I've looked
at
"Express Dictate", but it requires a Windows computer with a sound board
and
special modem to accept the incoming analog data and convert it to digital
sound files. I suppose we could create a server on our LAN to do this, but
we'd likely need to add another POTS phone line so that more than one of
us
could dictate at the same time. "Express Dictate" can handle LAN traffic
from multiple computers if we have VOIP, but we're not interested in
signing
up for new telephone service at the moment.

One problem with the simplest implementation of "Express Dictate" is that
if
we dictate into our computers or into digital recorders, the sound files
get
divided into chunks that can be sent to the transcriptionist as email
attachments. I'd prefer to avoid that hassle. How difficult would it be
(assuming we could create the Windows server to handle the analog/digital
conversion) to use that computer as an ftp server from which our
transcriptionist could download the sound files to her own computer at her
home?

Anyone have recommendations for other Mac-friendly transcription software?

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson