[X4U] Heavy duty job trafficking & tracking software

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Thu Apr 19 17:39:51 PDT 2007

I hear you, and thanks for your input, but there are realities that I
can't avoid:

1) Management are pushing for one.
2) Automatic reports can't be extrapolated from paper timesheets - reports
the client is requesting and we must deliver!
3) Another thing this software needs to be doing is assisting us in
SCHEDULING work, which, without the assistance of software, would require
a full-time position alone - a position we're not willing to spend on
administration unless absolutely necessary. Hopefully the coordinators,
with the assistance of the new software, can easily take care of
scheduling the work themselves.
4) Archives of old jobs are a quick search away - difficult, time
consuming if impossible with paper records.
5) We're currently using Lotus Notes databases to capture our job details
(quite well) but there are no reporting facilities nor scheduling.
6) We're using terminal emulation software to log into an old text-based
unix proggy for time capture and invoicing but that is to be replaced
soon, hence the need for the software I'm looking for to be able to
integrate with other systems and not be completely proprietary.
7) Capturing time on jobs is currently as simple as logging a job number
and letting it run as long as the work is being done. Swap jobs - change
numbers in the time capture software. I don't want the designers to get
bogged down with having to log every tiny thing they are doing: - now I'm
designing; now I'm doing production; now I'm printing; now I'm reading
emails; now I'm taking a dunny break, etc.

A solution, they want, so a solution (or perhaps after much research a
report stipulating there is no solution)  they will get.

Cheers,

Cojcolds

nk <netkat at comcast.net>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
20/04/07 10:16 AM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [X4U] Heavy duty job trafficking & tracking software

this is not what you want to hear, but I'd recommend sticking with
paper and pencil or some kind of printed sheet people can fill in as
they go.

I have worked in many studios larger than the one you describe, and
have seen all kinds of schemes designed to capture every minute doing
every task so that efficient billing can happen, but they all fall
flat, the software-based methods do.

You're still relying on somebody DOING something to record their time!
but with software you have many layers of issues and complications
setting it up, getting it to run, configuring, etc.

just my 2 cents, but if the bigs can get it done with paper and pencil,
odds are your firm can, too.

nk