[X4U] USB 2.0 vs Firewire?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Apr 28 19:01:44 PDT 2007

On Apr 28, 2007, at 5:54 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> Not all Firewire HD's can be booted from.  I have two Firewire
> inclosures,
> one I can boot from, one I can't.  Of course the one I can boot
> from has a
> dead powersupply, so I've got a power brick plugged into it now.

At this point in time, every modern Macintosh (i.e. made within the
last few years) should be able to boot from any FireWire hard drive
currently on the market, no matter what chipset it has in it, and no
matter what drive mechanism it uses, if that drive is properly set up
for your Macintosh.

However, for some reason, the OS X installer won't work with all
FireWire hard drives.  In that case you will need to clone a copy of
OS X onto your FireWire drive to make it bootable.

In the Bombich Forums is a thread on how to properly prepare your
external HD before cloning to it so that it will be bootable:
<http://forums.bombich.com/viewtopic.php?t=4084>

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html