[X4U] MS Office 2008 delayed

Tim Collier timjcollier at mac.com
Fri Aug 3 01:40:49 PDT 2007

On Aug 3, 2007, at 3:05 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Tim Collier wrote:
>
>> I find that I'm using Pages and Mellel (another Universal Word
>> Processor) more and more and Word less and less.  I hate how slow
>> it loads on my Intel Macs and I'm beginning to doubt that I'm
>> actually going to upgrade when (if) the update ever comes out.
>> Tired of waiting for Microsoft.
>

> I'm using Word v.X on my 24-inch iMac, and it loads quickly and
> runs really well.
>
> Word checks all of your installed fonts when it opens, so if you
> pare down the number of fonts that you have installed for Word,
> that might help it launch quicker.  Also, if you have a corrupted
> font, or a font conflict, that can drastically slow Word's launch
> time.  You may want to use Font Book to validate all of your fonts.
>
> Norton/Symantec Antivirus and some document management programs
> have been implicated with a problem with slow opening of Word.  You
> may want to experiment with disabling any of these that you have
> installed too see if they are the problem.
>
> Finally, sometimes i will find that Word doesn't open or work as
> sprightly as it usually does, and I've found that simply repairing
> permissions helps.

You're missing my point.  Every other major software manufacturer has
come out with a Universal Binary version.  I have the Entire Adobe
Suite.  Except for Office, I only have Universal Binary version of
present day software.  Microsoft is going to come in "too little, too
late".  I'm certain that I'm not the only person who feels this way.
We've moved on and Microsoft hasn't.  They may turn out to be just an
asterisk in Apple History.
--
Tim Collier
MacBook Pro 2.33 gig