[X4U] Copy of DVD with write protect

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Aug 9 21:36:27 PDT 2007

On 10 Aug 2007, at 02:24, Eugene wrote:

> CSS & region codes (two separate but equally annoying things)
> are both a DVD-Video thing.  Neither should be related to any
> attempts at creating an archival backup of a data DVD.

So how do you conjecture this dada DVD is copy protected?

I notice that you removed the SIX most relevant paragraphs of my
reply when you quoted.

    writable DVD products employ several safeguards to prevent valid CSS
    decryption keys and CPPM album identifiers from ever being
written to
    these discs. For example, blank writable DVD discs come from the
    factory with the Control Data Zone of their Lead-in Areas already
    prewritten (DVD-R General) or embossed (DVD-RW, DVD-RAM) with dummy
    information. And, in the case of DVD-R (version 1.0), DVD-R
    (Authoring), DVD+R and DVD+RW, recorders are designed to write only
    dummy information in the same disc area (and sector headers). This
    also inhibits CSS or CPPM protection being conferred on content
    recorded on writable DVD discs for professional or other
applications.

    http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa7.htm

Stroller.