[X4U] Spinning BeachBall Delay in Finder

LA Licata lalicata at alum.rpi.edu
Sun Aug 12 14:36:08 PDT 2007

Dear list,

I am running 17" PB g4, system 10.4.10, all software up-to-date. For
the record, first installed the incremental update to get to .10, but
that made the machine flaky. Downloaded the combo and flaky
performance was gone (That was in June.)

I have a work folder that has 1400 embedded folders in it, and totals
about 3.6 GB.

When I need to make a change to an item in the folder, I get a
spinning beach ball forever... In activity monitor, Finders takes up
about 57% of CPU and coreservicesd takes up about 33% of CPU. I
believe it started about 2-3 weeks ago, but not sure. I checked to
see if I did any updates, and I updated both Quicktime and Itunes.
Neither are running when I am working on this folder.

I then logged in under another account that I try to keep as "virgin"
as possible and there was no spinning beach ball delay.

So, went back to my normal account and thinking that it was a cache
problem, deleted them all. No change. Ran Cocktail and Tinkertool
System with no change.

No, I know I can create a new account but I believe that I am not the
first, and the fix is probably staring me in the face.

BTW, reran the combo updater and there was no change

I recently followed the thread of someone who deleted some cache
files at the root level with some pain, so wanted to proceed with
caution.

I do have a drive disk image backup from April (10.4.9) and there are
some files in the current cache folders at the root level both in
Library and System folders that are not in the image, bit not 100%
sure that 10.4.10 did not put them there.

I also thought that I could delete any file in a cache folder and
while I might lose some functionality, like auto password fill in,
but have paused when looking at the root level cache files.

I did create a new folder and moved all of the sub-folders into it,
but the problem remains.

I have other folders that are not this large, and they do not seem to
have a problem but it could be because they are smaller. I could
create a large folder and test but thought I would first ask.....

Anyone got a hint, please?

TIA

Lee