[X4U] OpenLDAP

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Aug 23 18:34:02 PDT 2007

On 23 Aug 2007, at 20:38, M K wrote:

> I'm looking for a replacement for the Exchange public address
> book / contacts.
>
> I think that OpenLDAP is the answer, but I was wondering what other
> people are doing.
> What we need to replace:
>
> 1) email (that's the easy one)
> 2) calendar and tasks (iCal will do all that rather well I think)
> 3) publicly share a list of contacts
> 4) do all this on an iPhone
>

> Are there any open projects in the works?

Are you aware of iCal server? This appears to be Apple's attempt to
tie undermine Outlook / Exchange's killer features. I expect it to be
pretty good.

Are ALL the clients Macs? I think this would probably go quite well
if that's the case. I see the big stumbling block to be if you
currently have Outlook clients on Windows - I think they would quite
reasonably be reluctant to switch to Thunderbird or whatever.

You ask about open projects - Apple are releasing the source to iCal
server under an OSS license. I think the idea being to spur wider
adoption & encourage 3rd-party clients - I anticipate a bunch for
Linux and a handful for Windows and that one or more of the latter
might be quite decent as an Outlook-replacement in a couple of years
time.

You'll have to cost-benefit for yourself whether you wait and grab OS
X server at next release and take advantage of Apple's sweet
configuration utilities or stitch the services together now yourself
under Lunix; one could imagine that the latter could easily increase
the daily workload of a busy system administrator by a significant
amount.

> Is anyone using iPhone on an enterprise level yet with OSX server?

This is surely only necessary if you're the IT department to an
enterprise which only employs Apple fanboys. I'd ask first, "what do
I need to achieve with mobile phone integration?" and then consider
client software; IMO the iPhone may not be the best choice.

Stroller.