[X4U] Airport Extreme and AT&T/SBC

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sun Aug 26 20:43:02 PDT 2007

Hi all.
I'd especially like feedback if somebody on this list uses or has used
AT&T/SBC DSL with an Airport Extreme. I do not have one of the brand new
Extremes; got it about three years ago. I have been using Charter cable,
connecting my Charter modem to the wan port of the Airport Extreme (the
modem is not wireless). I then have two linux machines, two Windows
machines, and two Macs on the network, which the Airport has maintained
with no problem. The only reason I'm thinking of upsetting this happy
relationship is that I'd like to save some money. However, I'm really
afraid of putting the initial money out to make this change and then not
having it work and having to fight and/or wait for my refunds.

I have two choices: either a DSL modem or wireless gateway. It seems to me
that it might be simpler and safer to just get the DSL modem and connect
it to my Airport Extreme pretty much as I have been doing with my Charter
cable modem. Has anybody done this and had success or, on the other hand,
had problems? Is there any reason why I should go for the wireless setup
instead--the way the sales person on the phone was describing the wireless
gateway I thought there might be more possibility of failure to work with
my Airport Extreme, plus the equipment for the wireless is more expensive
and one gets only a partial rebate (mail-in of course, which I hate!!!)

Any feedback would be appreciated; I'd like to be saved from doing
something catastrophic if that is what might happen but saving at least
$25 a month is tempting. I'm sorry I don't know which models of DSL modem
or wireless gateway I would be receiving which may make it harder for
people to respond to my query.

Thanks.

--
Cheryl