[X4U] Leopard Issues

Mac McIlvain sagebrush at gci.net
Mon Dec 10 18:36:50 PST 2007

I've been following this domain guessing thread. The discussion has
been informative, and I appreciate the links provided.

Verizon isn't the only provider showing this behavior. I'm on GCI,
and I have been getting the same indications mentioned. Since
installing Leopard, I am directed to a page that has four items at
the top: "My GCI," a Search window, a Search button, and then the
words "powered by Yahoo! Search."

An example of the address of this page is
"http://wwk.searchresults.gci.net/search?qo=xxxxxxxx&rn=7t81wYi6BnqFwdX"
where xxxxxxxx is the domain name I entered. The complete addresses
vary in content by browser, but the initial
"http://wwk.searchresults.gci.net/search?" part is always the same.

The exception to this pattern is when I enter a domain name that is
in the Bookmarks for that particular browser. In this case, at least
Safari, Camino and Firefox list its best guess for the address you
intend. All entries begin with the letters you type, but the list
does not appear in alpha sequence. Maybe the sequence is based on
most recently used (I don't have time to research this). This list of
addresses includes Bookmarks and also items in Recent History. You
can then hit Enter to use the option in the window, or you can click
on another URL listed below.

The annoying point about having the search page displayed is that the
URL I want is always listed as the #1 entry to click on. This happens
with the latest versions of Safari, Camino, Netscape and Firefox.

For comparison, I entered the same domain names into my wife's
computer. She is still on 10.4.11. Without exception, her browsers go
to the intended Web page, using the same versions of Safari, Camino,
Netscape and Firefox.

One nice advantage over the Windoze world was being able to enter a
one-word domain name, have the browser add the "www." prefix and
".com" suffix and then just be there. I realize that if you want an
"org" or "edu" site or multiple words in the domain name that is not
in your Bookmarks, you have to type the whole address. That's
reasonable, because domain "guessing" has to involve rules or
guidelines. But in my personal browsing experience, the need to
override the browser's choice is rare.

I'm a huge Apple fan. However, from what I've experienced it's
difficult to believe that Leopard hasn't changed from prior 10.4.x
behavior. Not that this is such a big inconvenience, but I miss the
simplicity of the former browsing technique. It was very Apple-like.
If it wasn't broke, why did they fix it?