[X4U] Preferred Tool for Smart File Copying

Rick Gordon rick at rickgordon.com
Mon Dec 17 18:26:13 PST 2007

I'm seeking your input on your preferred method of smart file copying. That is, one which will allow the copy of selected folders and only copy the files which have new modification dates, and which will (optionally, at least) preserve all permissions and advanced file flags.

Tools like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper don't seem well suited for simple smart backups. I'm looking forward to more suggestions, including (but not preferring) straight terminal commands. I do use the ditto command sometimes for this purpose, but find its behavior of losing the top level of folder hierarchy annoying.

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING