[X4U] Accessing Mail Pismo To my G4 lap top

Geoffrey Loefffler geoffrey at alaska.net
Tue Feb 20 06:01:20 PST 2007

>> From: Geoffrey Loefffler <geoffrey at alaska.net>
>> It just seems so ludicrous, why would the ISP care what I do with my
>> account as long as I was not doing anything wrong or .
>
> They're worried that you might know of an open mailserver and use
> it to send spam. The ISP for that open mailserver could then trace
> the packets as coming from your ISP and blacklist them. That would
> affect all the other users of your ISP when trying to email people
> who use that other ISP.

Larger ISPs, i.e  SBC will let  customers “OPT  OUT” of a closed port
25, if you send them a form.  As it is a denial of service,  probably
one they could get a law suit over, of course the company can put
anything under “ service”, but it seems they have gotten some flack
for this so the bigger ones are allowing some users out of having
port 25 open. So it seems better to call them and  try to get an OPT
OUT,  of course my small company could probably care less.

  I have been with company since 1990, before it was a company, my
email address is the same since 1992, how would I ever change that to
all who have it.  It seems as if their making you guilty before there
is a reason. This is spreading fast  among ISP’s. There should be an
easier way to stop spam, then cut off everyones access..

  A lot of people don’t care. If you travel it’s essential .  They
have been doing it since 2004, some before that. No less spam and
when I look at spam headers that my junk mail filters nab, it’s
always fairly easy to see it’s spam.  I have many places i travel too
and I guess I have just been lucky not to be hit by the outage.  So
what now, we suffer because other’s abuse the system. That is really
a poor way and obviously very ineffective as it has not changed the
amount of spam anywhere And just makes people look for ways around
it. Which are there.

obviously
> When you send mail, your mail program connects to an smtp server at
> your ISP (or wherever). If you set up Postfix, your mail program
> then connects to your own local smtp server that is Postfix.
> Postfix still needs to connect to an external smtp server to get
> the message out, so you're no nearer (in fact you're sort of one
> step further away).

It seems that all the ISP wants is for the SMTP to match there name
so if I am using a  different service , which I do when I travel,
Postfix is supposed to let you fill in the normal settings. Don’t
know, I  have not had much feed back on the program. See your point
but will have to research this and if they do cut me, try to beg my
way into a OPT OUT.  Being so small of a company, owned by a larger
telco and most of the people located outside of Alaska, chances are
slim. If it was an Alaska based company, there would be no problem
but dealing with underpaid, overworked people outside, I am sure they
do not want to do anything that is out of the ordinary for them.
Although Alaskans do travel a lot. I have searched for companies who
will host email and let me log on.
Appreciate the thoughts

Geoffrey