[X4U] Bragging Rights for Shawn

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat Jul 7 22:28:55 PDT 2007

Unfortunately, nothing but trouble on my end.  Just walked into the
Oklahoma City, OK Apple Store and purchased an 8GB.  Took it home.
Tried to activate it, when the trouble started :-)

My suburb of Oklahoma City has been issued a new Zip code by the USPS
effective July 1.  When I tried to activate, I tried to enter my
regular, "old" zip.  The activation then said that that wasn't
recognized...would I like to select the address with the NEW zip?
(There was no choice here...select the New zip or give up).  So I
did.  Then I get the message that "AT&T does not offer wireless
service in your area."  Of course, I've had Cingular here for 6 years.

Call ATT customer support. They basically explain that their credit
process can only pull up my NEW zip, but that their "coverage map" is
based on zip code...and does not recognize the NEW code, only the old
one.

This wasn't the Infinite Loop I was hoping to see :-)

Supposedly someone will be able to override this tomorrow during
"credit"s office hours (which don't follow the Support hours...grrr).

Why, oh why, Apple, did you see fit to lock out the other features of
the darn iPhone until the "phone" part was activated?

:-)

Michael