[X4U] New DVD/CD Burner not recognized

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Jul 31 12:05:28 PDT 2007

On 31 Jul 2007, at 19:36, Crandon David wrote:
> I have an older G4 Gigabit Ethernet from about 2001. It uses the
> IDE interface.
>
> I finally decided  to get a DVD burner. I went to Fry's and got a
> Sony DRU-170C.
>
> It powers up fine, but no DVD's or CD's will mount on the desktop.
> Also, it is not recognized in System Profiler or Disc Utility.
>
> I was under the impression that drives were "generic" and would be
> recognized. Is this not correct?

This is correct. I think your G4 actually uses an EIDE (enhanced IDE)
interface, but the specification for the drive says it's EIDE, too,
so that's ok.

Did you replace the original drive in your G4 with the new one, or
add it in a second drive bay? EIDE allows only two drives per channel
and they are allocated "master" and "slave" identities. Although it's
possible to set each drive to "cable detect" whether it's master or
slave it's more common to move a small jumper on the back of the
drive; this jumper positions are most always indicated on the drive
somewhere, or in the accompanying (typically minimal) documentation.

If you removed the original drive & replaced it with the new one then
it sounds to me like you got a duff drive (although to prove the
point you might wish to try this in a PC running Windows). If you
added the Sony as a second drive then you likely need to check the
jumper positions on both drives.

Stroller.