[X4U] Sound output suddenly changes! Ugh!

Crandon David tabdave at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 6 09:06:03 PST 2007

Hello Everyone,

For a friend of mine, below are his symptoms. Could you please all
help out? This is a spontaeous change and it appears nothing in
particular caused it....

Thanks.

the audio problem with video clips, which for no apparent reason came
upon my mac a few weeks (?months) ago, drives me nuts.

Here is a summary of the symptons to make it easier for you to post
this in one of the mac forums you visit. I would really appreciate
it. The problem has nothing to do with specific preference settings
of various softwares (WM-player, QuickTime etc) or settings in system
prefs > sound > output.

The audio portion of certain video formats does not play through
external speakers anymore but only through the internal built-in
speakers:

mov and avi: sound plays ok through external speakers both in
QuickTime and Preview.

mpg: audio only from built-in speaker, both in QuickTime and Preview.

wmv: audio only from built-in speaker (opened with WMPlayer)

Mac start-up sound audio only from built-in speaker but all other
alert sounds also from external speakers.

All audio files, mp3, aiff,  iTunes etc play through both int. and
ext. speakers according to the settings in system prefs > sound >
output.

Mac Pro, 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel, 2 GB, OSX 10.4.1