Re(2): [X4U] Airport Extreme Software Request

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Fri Oct 19 23:38:41 PDT 2007

>Hi Rod,
>Glad you responded. I've been over to Apple surfing around their forum.
>
>Here's what was suggested....
>DL AirPortBaseUtility521.dmg at...
><http://supportdownload.apple.com/download.info.apple.com/
>Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Mac_OS_X/downloads/
>061-3643.20070813.60P1c/AirPortUtility521.dmg>
>o Double-click AirPortBaseUtility521.dmg to mount and display it's contents.
>o From the AirPortUtility window, right-click on "AirPortUtility.pkg."
>o Select "Show Package Contents" from the pop-up menu.
>o In the "AirPortUtility.pkg" window, double-click on the "Contents"
>folder to open it.
>o In the "Contents" window, double-click on the "Archive.pax.gz" file.
>This will create a new folder on your Desktop, named "Archive." Both the
>AirPort Utility and the AirPort Disk Utility will be inside Archive/
>Applications/Utilities folder. You can copy or move them to your
>Applications folder.
>
>I haven't tried it yet, but if you do let me know if it works.
>
>So long for now, TOM

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the heads up. You know, I had already downloaded this
particular 521.dmg Airport Base Utility. But before I had popped open
the contents folder and pried out the necessary applications I had
read from someone else, who had posted on-line, that you required the
original v5.0 software to upgrade from. Well... instead of ignoring
the advice and now it turns out - inaccurate. I went looking for v5.0
to upgrade, posted here and the rest, as you know, is history.

In short, the Airport Base Utility 5.21 works properly. Doesn't give
us anything we didn't already have with v.4.2 except a much cleaner
looking interface to set up the Extreme base station and to review
and/or change settings. Regardless, I ran the the new utilities even
though I really didn't need to but being an Apple type never really
happy unless I break something or screw it up. <ha> Fortunately it
didn't. Have a look at it. Much nicer and cleaner looking.

Thanks for this, Rod