[X4U] Upgrading G3 iMac to G4 iMac - Easiest way?

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Mon Sep 17 11:20:11 PDT 2007

First the backstory. Just purchased a replacement iMac for my son. He
has been using an older G3 iMac DV SE. When the sound card started
acting up decided it was time to upgrade. Upgraded this iMac to
Airport status years ago and decided to salvage the still-in-demand
Airport card from it. As a result, purchased an 800Mhz 15" flat panel
iMac which was the last, before the Extreme card, to use this earlier
Airport card. The new iMac came with more RAM, larger 60GB HD and a
Superdrive coupled with the great little Harmon Kardon Apple Pro
Speakers ready to rock his world.

His older iMac is running 10.3.9. The newer iMac has 10.4.10
installed. I would like to keep all his applications, preferences
installed and do the easiest transfer possible. I thought I would
SuperDuper his machine to the newer iMac and then upgrade it to
10.4.10 status. After re-thinking this doubt it will work with the
different system requirements needed by the newer iMac. I am now
thinking it would be best to completely re-install Tiger into the
newer iMac and go the firewire computer transfer route during
installation. Then upgrade Tiger to the latest version. Obviously, a
number of his applications will require updating. Is there an easier
way? Suggestions.

Thanks,
Rod