[X4U] firmware update creates the fan from hell

Teddi Pomaika'i Stransky teddi at alohabroadband.com
Thu Sep 20 00:43:53 PDT 2007

Aloha ...

A month or more ago I innocently installed a firmware update from
Apple. Since then, if I put my Pro to sleep, the fan goes berserk
when it wakes up. It takes off like a jet engine and roars so loudly
you can't even talk over it; this goes on for a full two minutes
before it starts to calm down. The first time it happened I thought a
water truck was having problems getting up my hill ... it honestly
sounds like a diesel engine straining up a grade.

The only way to get it back to "full normal" is to reboot; on its own
it quiets down to conversational levels, but not to its normal
near-silent state.

Other people have reported this problem, but Apple is ignoring it. I
am now to the point of being afraid to install any more of Apple's
"updates". I can't believe that having the fan run this hard and fast
is not harming it; under no circumstances would it ever normally run
that way.

Has anyone out there heard of a viable solution? I can, of course,
shut down the machine totally every night and re-start it every
morning, but I would really like to have "sleep" back without all the
racket! Is it possible to "uninstall" a firmware upgrade?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.4.10
2 x 2.66 GHs Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4GB 667 MHz DDR-FB-DIMM
SMC version 1.7f10

Teddi Stransky, Kahuku, Ka'u, Hawaii
--

   ***E-mail is packed by intellectual weight, not by volume.***
   ***Some settling may have occurred during transmission***