[X4U] G5 iMac-isight battery replacement

Dave B DaveB_Lists_1004 at gto.net
Mon Feb 18 09:26:23 PST 2008

On 17-Feb-08, at 17:11, Kansas Territory wrote:

> I'm attempting to replace the battery in an iMac G5 (with iSight).
>
> I found some instructions on Apple's website for replacing the
> battery in an iMac G5 (no isight I'm guessing)
>
> The instructions seemed simple enough, removed the screws from the
> bottom, lift away the back cover, revealing all and easy access to
> the battery.
>
> However, when I try this.. and try to lift away the back cover.. the
> whole thing comes out.. basically simply removing the 'front cover'
>
> I'm wondering if this is a change from the original iMac and the
> iMac with iSight ?
>

> Kansast

HOLD UP!

Make sure that you have the instructions for the specific iMac you
have!!! Apple made many changes as the iMac evolved.

To make this point clear, the instructions for removing the back cover
on an iMac G5 (Ambient Light Sensor, no isight) does NOT say to remove
the screws. The screws get turned counter clockwise until light
resistance is is encountered. The screws are captive and operate
internal clamping mechanisms.

The iMac G5 (with isight) requires that the FRONT panel is removed.
The 3 screws at the bottom are removed AND the 2 latches at the top
corners of the machine are released. This is done by inserting a tool
up through the cooling vent on the rear and engaging the release
mechanisms.

I should also point out that there is no mention of an internal
battery for the iMac G5 (with isight) in the service manual I have.

If you'd explain why you think you need to replace this battery, maybe
we could help...

Dave