[X4U] 35mm Slide Scanner for OS X iMac

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Tue Jan 15 15:30:43 PST 2008

   My mom has thousands of old 35mm slides that she wants to scan in to
   her iMac (iLamp, 700 MHz, OS X 10.3.x (soon to be upgraded to
   10.4.11))  She currently has an HP All-In-One (printer/scanner/copier/
   fax), about 4 yrs. old, which she has used for scanning photos into
   iPhoto.  Does anyone know of an inexpensive slide scanner, or an
   adapter that would work on her HP AIO?  Preferably under $200?

If she really has thousands, she will want a bulk loader that can do
50 or so at a time.  The best one I've seen is the Nikon CoolScan (in
the $1,300-$1,500 range) It takes about 5 minutes to do each slide on
my iMac G5 (with all the cleanup turned on), so it's a case of put in
a stack and come back in the morning.

Of course, if she doesn't mind low-resolution scans and doing lots of
sitting around, most scanners these days can do slides.

Craig