[X4U] Wireless internet sharing in Tiger

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Thu Jan 17 08:57:37 PST 2008

I'm at the Marriott SF (headquarters hotel for the MW Expo). My wife has
come along but doesn't share my geek genes. The one things she WOULD like to
do is check her email.

Of course, I glommed on (technical term) to the hotel's ethernet access from
our room, which I believe locks the connection I'm paying for at $12.95/day
to the MAC of my MacBook Pro.

I decided I could get her access by turning on "internet sharing". In
Tiger's system preferences I turned on internet sharing via my ethernet
connection to the internet using AirPort in our two computers (she has a 12"
Al PowerBook G4), assigned a 40-bit password for the sharing connection, and
"voila!" she had web access. However, when she tried to send or receive
email, her aol account reported that imap couldn't be accessed over the port
being used, and her sonic.net account simply didn't send or retrieve (the
little gears just kept spinning until she quit from Apple's Mail client).

So, I have three questions:

Is there a way to configure internet sharing so that the computer gaining
'net access through another can send/receive POP mail?

Given that I have my Tiger firewall turned on and have created a password
requirement for sharing my connection, am I reletively safe in doing this in
an environment where there are more than a half-dozen unprotected networks
listed in the AirPort drop-down menu (obviously other Mac users attending
the show).

Is it likely true that I couldn't disconnect my computer from the hotel's
ethernet access point in our room and plug hers in, giving her access to the
same connection that's been created for me?

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson