[X4U] Mail.app problems

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 20 03:50:57 PST 2008

On 19 Jan 2008, at 20:35, Richard H Stoddard wrote:

> I'm having increased problems with Mail.app. For awhile it would
> just freeze up after downloading some mail, but the for last few
> days I've had to repaid the mailboxes each time I started Mail. ...

I know you've had other suggestions which seem to have worked, but
for anyone else in the future with such mail problems, I advise
simply deleting "~/Library/Mail/Envelope Index" in the first instance.

I prefer this to any "pixie-dust" utility, because you know exactly
what is going on. The index is rebuilt the next time Mail is started
- it may take a while, but Mail tells you it's doing so - and it's a
perfectly safe step to take.

Mail's Envelope Index in 10.4 and 10.5 are both "SQLite database
(version 3)", but I guess it's quite conceivable that changes have
been made to the schema within this file format, and anyway, this
file has been known for some time under 10.4 to become messy with
time. IIRC there a reports of a repaired or fresh Envelope Index
being reduced to 3meg, from over 100meg (or in that order, at least).

Stroller.