[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jan 20 21:18:23 PST 2008

At 3:22 PM +1100 1/21/08, Christopher Collins wrote:
>On 21/01/2008, at 11:08 AM, Linda wrote:
>>
>>I thought the Air was too much price for too little computer for a few days.
>>Having just returned to WI from a 3-day trip to Los Angeles, slogging my 17"
>>PowerBook through the airports and all around a conference, I have changed
>>my mind. I would have paid twice the list price to have exchanged that
>>bigger, heavier computer with an Air at any point during my trip!
>>
>>It suddenly made perfect sense. :-)
>>
>>peace
>>Linda
>
>Exactly right Linda!

Actually if you're on a trip like Linda was just on, I'll agree the
"Air" makes more sense than a 17" MacBook.  I understand why the 17"
makes sense for some people, but for me the 13" MacBook makes more
sense.

>People who don't travel all the time don't have any real idea about
>how much difference 1kg or 2lb make.

Actually I have a very good idea what a difference two pounds, the
difference between the MacBook and the "Air", make.

>The difference in weight and thickness make it a perfect computer
>for the office traveller.
>
>Hard disk size is the same as a MacBook. Memory is better than a
>MacBook. CPU power is near as dammit the same.
>
>I will gladly pay the $550 to save my back and to make my life much
>easier over the next 2 years.
>
>Let's see, thats like $5 extra a week over the next 2 years to make
>my life easier and protect my back.
>
>That's well worth it to me.

Apple is still selling systems with only 1Gb?!?!  I was about to say
you need to check your facts, but thankfully I checked mine.  I'm
guessing your $550 figure is the price of the MacBook upgraded to
2Gb?  I still think the "Air" is overpriced, but once you take that
into consideration it isn't as bad as I thought.

I suspect part of that difference is a more expensive CPU.  I still
think the "Air" is overpriced, but then I also think the MacBook
itself is overpriced.  It would also be interesting to know if their
solution for RAM means that the system costs more than it would if it
used standard Laptop RAM.  There are all the cost savings, they don't
have all the ports of a standard MacBook, and they don't need RAM
sockets.

Zane