[X4U] Macs which support "target disk mode"

Terence Cozad tcozad at covad.net
Tue Jan 22 18:01:15 PST 2008

Not to sound flip but it almost sounds like the computer lost power. I have
a mirror door G4 and have no problems with Firewire Target Disk Mode. If the
computer shuts down that is power related. I would plug into a good outlet,
make sure that the PRAM battery is good, if using a battery backup keep in
mind that putting too much in one will shut it down (from personal bad
experience) and you then need to plug into a different device or outlet.

If it still does not work I would suspect hardware or a bad firewire port
perhaps. Try the other port. I know the old Blue and White G3 could not boot
this way from the firewire port (I had one) but all towers since then
should.
Just my 2 cent but hope you get it figured out.
Terry

On 1/22/08 2:50 PM, "Jim Robertson" <jamesrob at sonic.net> wrote:

> I passed my dual G5 down the food chain (to my son) last weekend. We tried
> to use Firewire Target Disk Mode to transfer his "stuff" from a
> mirrored-doors G4, but the older computer would just shut down a few seconds
> after the startup "bong" and some disk activity.
>
> I read somewhere that some G4 computers with Open Firmware might require
> booting INTO open firmware before they'd function in target disk mode. Is
> that what we encountered? I tried looking in Apple's knowledge base but
> didn't find an answer.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Jim Robertson

Terry Cozad