[X4U] Scripts

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu Jan 24 04:35:26 PST 2008

>I have not yet delved into creating scripts, but I do have some
>samples and a few I downloaded from various sites. The problem is
>that I can't figure out how to invoke them. For example, I have one
>that allows me to schedule delivery of mail at a later time. It
>works fine if I go to finder and open it as an app, but I can't
>figure out how to incorporate it into options on the menu bar or
>some other method of invoking it short of opening the app.

One way to invoke them is from a scripts menu, at least in Tiger. I
don't know if this is still present in Leopard. But in Tiger, you can
go to /Applications/Applescript/
and run AppleScript Utility.  Click the box next to "Show Script Menu
in menu bar".

That will put the script menu in the menu bar at the right side. Any
scripts you save in ~/Library/Scripts/  or  /Library/Scripts/    will
show up there and be accessible for running from that menu.

You can also buy FastScripts (inexpensive shareware, available at
versiontracker.com) and run your scripts from its menu bar icon, or
use FastScripts to easily assign keyboard shortcuts to your scripts.

You can also use Automator to create actions that call scripts. (In
Tiger, choose the Automator application, and the "Run Application"
Action.)

Daly