[X4U] 35mm Slide Scanner for OS X iMac

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 24 21:32:40 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008, at 10:28 AM, Paul Biddlecomb wrote:

> Finally, someone has an actual scanner recommendation.  Up until
> now, all I've gotten is useless thoughts on how it would be faster
> to have a company do it, which would end up costing many hundreds,
> if not thousands, of dollars.  I'm looking for a solution in the
> sub-$200 range.
>
> Does anyone know of an adapter that would work with an HP All-in-
> one Printer/Scanner/Copier, which is about 4 years old?  I'm not
> sure of the model number.
>
> Or a low-end scanner that will easily scan slides?  I'm not talking
> about high-end scans, but something to archive these slides for
> future reference.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> -------------SNIP-------------

I have a friend who went through this exercise about 6 months ago and
I am sorry I don't remember the scanner he picked up. I was with him
when he went to the computer store but have forgotten the name. What
does stick in my vague memory is that the software is really a key
issue. IIRC he went with SILVER????? and then paid for the upgrade to
the pro version. I talked with him the other night and he is in
progress of scanning 2000+ slides.
He is a perfectionist and the scanning (and doing work with Photoshop
after the scan is extremely man power intensive). He is giving a
presentation Friday to CERA ((its a electric railroad group) here in
Chicago. I am supposed to attend to critique it. I was hoping he
would have had it done for last weekend so he could have previewed it
on my Plasma TV, but  it didn't happen and he is in desperation mode
and not answering phones etc.

Ed