[X4U] hard drive configuration

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Jul 1 02:18:43 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 03:51:52AM CDT, alexandre <list at kapellos.com> wrote:

> hi (and sorry for what maybe a dumb question?)
> is it ok to partition a hard drive that's configured as raid0?
>
> i've just bought a western digital mybook studio edition II and it can't
> be configured as jbod :-( and i don't want my daily back-ups to be on the
> the partition/drive/whatever as my archives.

Unless you are working with dozens or hundreds of hard drives,
anything like JBOD or RAID 0 is impractical for most users.
What exactly are you want to do?  Daily backups on your new
external drive?  CarbonCopyCloner should be enough.  And what
kind of backup do you mean?  Without more specific information,
I broadly state that partitioning should be avoided.

> on a side note, i'll be buying a second 2Tb drive to have an offsite
> back-up of my back-up. this will probably be a lacie drive. i'm not
> entirely convinced by the mybook?

What is your question?  Are you asking whether your WD MyBook
is reliable?

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/