[X4U] Well, well

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 22:06:41 PDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 11:56 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
> ------------------SNIP-------------------------
> I'm trying to decide if you're being sarcastic, or serious.  On one
> hand, yes, the mice suck.  What is up with only one mouse button on
> the laptops?  At the same time, you're saying that with four HD
> drive bays + two optical drive bays, the Mac Pro isn't expandable
> drive wise?  You're complaining that the Mac Pro only goes up to
> 32Gb of RAM, and not 128Gb?!?!?!  Yikes!  If you're serious, I
> don't think I want to know what your computer requirements are.
> Personally I'm ticked they don't make a mid-range tower with say 2
> drive bays and 8GB RAM max.

I am serious... While I don't mind (too much) having 4 external
drives IMO its a PITA. The memory comment is dead on serious. I have
the need for 15+ applications to be running and 32GB is pushing it (a
lot) and no I don't run the usual pigs these are just misc apps.

>> There OS software is "OK" (Personally I liked OS/2 better). They
>> need to focus on software that will cross mac releases and not
>> need upgrading all the time. That is a major no-no for me.
>
> Can't disagree here.
>
>> The OEM software is really a mixed bag from excellent, to,
>> shouldn't be available for sale because of bugs and crashes.
>
> Um, isn't this also true for Windows? TO be far I am not a person
> to ask that question I used to run windows at work (XP IIRC and 3.1
> for 6 months) and instead of crashing it locked up the entire
> system and it was reboot time.
>
>> The software that comes bundled with the OS is average at best.
>> Mail is a extremely poor competitor to Eudora as an example. Ical
>> is so-so at best the address book is another ho-hum. Safari is
>> average but starting to go up, IMO.
>
> I'm still pissed about Mail.app, as I think it helped kill Eudora,
> yet I'm typing this in Eudora as Mail.app can't handle my email
> load. It can't even handle the two Admin accounts I use it for.
I get roughly 500++ emails a day and it just doesn't cut it plus I
miss eudora (or is it someone else) that it should open the next
email automatically after I close the current mail. That feature
alone is calling me back to Eudora.

>> The number of fixes, IMO is too high. Someone isn't testing as
>> well as they should.
>
> 10.5 was a disgrace, I think with 10.5.3 my wife's MacBook might
> finally be stable, I still need to upgrade her to 10.5.4.  My G5
> 2x2 is still sitting at 10.4.11, as I can't afford the lost time
> from an unstable system.

Well I am stuck on 10.4 forever as I will not give up Word Perfect.