[X4U] Well, well

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jul 27 09:13:57 PDT 2008

At 8:01 AM -0400 7/27/08, Tim Collier wrote:
>Zane, one of the major reasons why I did upgrade to Filemaker Pro 9 is that
>it gives you the ability to connect to a MySQL database offsite and manage
>the data in Filemaker, I like that a LOT.

That's good to know, it will aid in where I'm headed with my
Databases, though right now they exist in either FileMaker Pro 5.5 or
Oracle RDB (on OpenVMS, and not the Oracle DB you're probably
thinking of).  I should be able to move the Oracle RDB data to MySQL
easy enough with a little Perl programming.

I don't supposed this makes FileMaker Pro 9 a bit like MS SQL Studio
is for SQL Server?  I'll definitely need to read up on that, and
maybe start saving up for a copy.  Sadly unlike when I went from 2.1
to 5.5 I won't be able to simply upgrade, I'll have to buy a new
copy. :^(

>As for Clarisdraw, ever thought
>of buying one of the Wacom drawing pads?  It works with Corel PainterX and
>Photoshop.  It's definitely an alternative and not that expensive.

I have a Wacom tablet (actually it is my second).  Though I haven't
had Painter since my first tablet (close to 10 years ago).  For what
I like using ClarisDraw for I've been meaning to try out a CAD
package or two.  In fact the MS-DOS apps I used on the PC prior to
switching to ClarisDraw on the Mac was a couple very early versions
of DesignCAD, and some tool for making forms.  At least I can use
Intaglio to open my ClarisDraw apps and convert them over to another
format.

I've lost track of how many ClarisDraw replacements people here have
suggested and I've tried, and so far they all fall short. :^(
Ideally I'd like to move to Adobe Illustrator, especially since it is
part of CS3 Premium, but I really don't "get" Illustrator.  I've
largely resigned myself to either running it on my G4/450AGP or else
via emulation under something like SheepShaver.

Zane