[X4U] End of the line for PPC support from Apple

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Jun 11 17:28:25 PDT 2008

> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/11/
> official_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_doesnt_support_powerpc_macs.html
>
> snip:
>
> The documentation states that in order to install Snow Leopard,
> developers must have a Mac computer with "an Intel processor" and at
> least 512MB of RAM, though additional memory is recommended for
> development purposes.
> ________
>
> well...we all knew the day would arrive eventually....

As this is the developers release, it doesn't mean 100% that Snow Leopard
won't support PPC, after all "Prelude to Rhapsody" and the first couple
developer releases after that were Intel only!  Still I'd say the odds are
about 99.9% that PPC won't be supported.  As my G5 2x2 will be over 5 years
old when it is released, it will be passed time for me to upgrade.  I think
this answers my question on if I should move from 5.5GB RAM to a full 8GB.
Though I think I'll plan on holding off on a new system until after Snow
Leopard is actually out.

I really wish that Apple would offer a Core 2 Duo based tower in the $1500
range, with a couple HD bays and able to take at least 8GB RAM.  I quite
honestly don't want the monstrosity that is the MacPro, but nothing else
will meet my needs.

Zane