Re(2): [X4U] "Backwards Compatibility"

Thomas Bulat tombulat at comcast.net
Wed Jun 18 13:35:42 PDT 2008

>People stuck on old software/hardware: let it die so that the rest of
us can live.

Hi Eugene,
How do you define "live?" I'm sick of wasting my life having to reinvent
the same wheel with little return to me.

Your comment would make more sense if we weren't at the mercy of a
system that squanders progress for monopolistic control,
and the ability to cash in on incremental progress, at ridiculous cost
to end users, to control the market and revenue stream.

I've had to retire my "very long in tooth" accounting program for the
industry standard, and I have to say the new program I am struggling
with is not all that innovative,

but it is the standard. I see things moving very slowly (way too slowly
IMHO) in the innovative area.

Do you think milking the upgrade cycle and staying on top of the revenue
gravy train have anything to do with this?

Do you think being unable to compete with the standard has anything to
do with the reason why the makers of the program which I had to stop
using (let die) couldn't evolve or advance or even find a way to have
their installed base make the switch to Mac OS X or now, Mac OS X-Intel?

I've paid over and over for the same technology with a different candy
coating, and a lack of innovation. The web gave the industry one more
time to charge everyone anew. What's next?

Just my 2¢.

So long for now, TOM